Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Plumbing a Commercial Kitchen  (Read 2825 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Plumbing a Commercial Kitchen
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:13:21 PM »

A good friend of mine has a situation with the health department right now. He's got a restaurant that isn't legal, no floor drain, wet vented a 2" toilet vent and he has a flat vent at the 3 bay sink. Of course, I'm being asked to send a isometric drawing to frankfort kentucky for approval which is tied to the health department and plumbing department together.

Problem is...

This kitchen is already operational, making money. :o So...I'm basically caught in a situation where IF I pull a permit on this one, of course I'm going to have to change this piping, but they don't want me hands on (cost) and they just want me to direct, pay for my skills and knowledge. I don't want to slot a floor up to put a floor drain in, don't want to cut all that piping out and I certainly don't want to go buy all the testing materials to put a test on this system.

I'm doing this as a favor with compensation but I can already see these inspectors coming down on me if I don't 'at least' clean up the obvious code violations. My beef is how much are they going to dig to get an approval. Health department is tough these days about food protection. Should I say  :sign0135: or just :beer: and make it happen? :sign0085:
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Plumbing a Commercial Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:25 AM »

Tomorrow I'm calling one of the inspectors I know personally and asking him to come down and check this out for me, see what is going on and how much they want us to do.

Once I get a heads up it will go fairly smooth. I think (from what I saw) that the work to be done will be minimal.

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:15:05 PM »

Tomorrow I'm calling one of the inspectors I know personally and asking him to come down and check this out for me, see what is going on and how much they want us to do.

Once I get a heads up it will go fairly smooth. I think (from what I saw) that the work to be done will be minimal.

Supposed to meet the plumbing inspector at 10:00 am friday down at the job and get this one 100% and out of my hair as fast as I got into it. I was told no floor drain is required in the kitchen application that is in question, and a floor sink is close by in the building. Another hand sink is going to be installed close to the ice cream machine. A dipper well would be ideal for what is done at the machine.

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07:52 PM »

Last night I went down to this job and created an isometric drawing for the drain/waste and vent system for this project. I tried like 10 times doing it with a ruler and gave up, hand sketched the drawing and it actually looked better.  :sign0085:

This one is definitely going to be a hum dinger of sorts, given it was piped incorrectly. The finished product will be a sight, given the myriad of piping when it's done to get it up to code in kentucky.