Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Toilet Repair on Thompson Avenue in Fort Mitchell Kentucky  (Read 2176 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Toilet Repair on Thompson Avenue in Fort Mitchell Kentucky
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:24:15 AM »

On Saturday March 6th 2010 we was called out for a "slow filling toilet that keeps running" for a customer we worked for last year, but this was our first time at this property.

When we arrived we expected the toilet fill valve to be defective or clogged with debris. We replaced the toilet fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400A fill valve and used a Korky replacement flush valve flapper to stop the leaking through the tank.

This toilet visibly rocks and is not secure to the floor, even though it was not leaking down below. Aside from that, the toilet has a set of mild steel tank to bowl bolts that are slowly disintegrating as time moves on and when the black rubber gaskets eventually go bad from chlorine exposure, we recommended replacement of the entire toilet. The toilet's brand name is a Crane, low end toilet that most likely was less than $100 at the time it was purchased.

This follows the "good money following bad" scenario that is designed to give the customers options for what is in their best interest. Meaning, The charges for today involve a fill valve, toilet flapper, toilet supply line along with the labor to make these necessary repairs. Of course, this is normal costs involving the maintenance aspect of any toilet. It's expected. But on the horizon of this one particular toilet the tank to bowl bolts will need replacement along with addressing the issue of the rocking toilet. Given the cost to repair is usually closely matched to the cost of replacement, at some point the quality of the toilet comes into question and a decision be made to understand the long term.

If the toilet has a history of clogging, not doing a good job of removing waste, this is a instant reason to rid the problem and start with another "better" product.

Hopefully the customer gets a substantial time between the next task to be done to the toilet. Cheap toilets are what keeps plumbers in business, such as this one did today with the toilet being relatively new. The fill valve that came with the toilet was of poor quality and the flapper was rippled most likely in combination of repeated exposure of chlorine in the water along with the quality of the flapper itself.
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

saysflushable

• Member Ranking +34/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Toilet Repair on Thompson Avenue in Fort Mitchell Kentucky
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:47:18 AM »

2 things bug me.      Taking a tank off an older toilet.....this seems to be a waste why not put on a new toilet at this point I'm not talking if the bolts come offf easy I'm talking if it's a struggle to get the bolts off.            second is thinking something is stuck in a toilet because of a poor flush.      I want the people to be ready for a new toilet at that point, just encase the toilet is clog free.

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:02:21 PM »

I agree. I understand toilets are something that are not always replaced on a regular basis but if you have a bad flushing toilet, it's time to make that consideration.

Now, being the one on the other side of the equation (the one paying the bill) I would say that between the toilet and labor, it's a fairly expensive plumbing repair.

Catching $400-$500 for a replacement per toilet becomes a cost that many would seem as not a small repair.

saysflushable

• Member Ranking +34/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »

Very true.     I still would rather install a new toilet than an old.      Reminds me I just install a new corner unit.    the price was huge and it flushed terrible.      It is at a vacation home so they may have not seen it yet.

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »

Very true.     I still would rather install a new toilet than an old.      Reminds me I just install a new corner unit.    the price was huge and it flushed terrible.      It is at a vacation home so they may have not seen it yet.

Was it an eljer? That's the only corner toilet I'm aware of that offers the corner toilet design.

Those eljer toilets didn't flush well back in the day.