Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Plastic Dip Tube Failures - Still a problem in 2010  (Read 2710 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Plastic Dip Tube Failures - Still a problem in 2010
« on: December 31, 2009, 11:27:00 PM »

Two days ago we was called out to Hunters Green subdivision in Independence Kentucky to take care of two plumbing fixtures,

a lavatory faucet and a kitchen sink faucet that had little or no hot water. The kitchen sink faucet, which was a kohler

faucet, was leaking down into the cabinet. I told them they could fix it but 2 years and leaking profusely through the

body?  ??? ??? Anyway, I reached underneath to see if the valve  was clogged up, turned out the valve was barely on.

Problem solved at that point, but when I went to work on the lavatory sink faucet, totally different issue. I removed  

the flexible supply line and took the stem out of the angle stop, found long and narrow strips of what is obvious; a

failing dip tube.

I had a hunch this was most likely the issue at hand and the statement, "Our water heater was installed in the early

90's" I knew right there and then that I was dealing with an issue regarding that water heater.

15 years after that product was classified as defective, people "still" dealing with this nonsense. The efficiency of that

water heater has to be atrocious at this point, and there's no way of telling how much that water heater is costing to

operate at this point.

This "mistake" with the choice of these non-metallic tubes inside the water heater has proven itself time and time

over, again and again to be detrimental. Of course, they've resolved the issue with a better product, but the cost

savings they was trying to accomplish with going with something cheaper came at a huge cost.

I fully explained this to the property owner and they believed what I had to say, the proof was what was pulled out

of the supply line when I removed it from the faucet. I truly believe they will not replace that water heater until it

leaks, which there is nothing wrong wtih doing so.

This couple is the parents of a customer I worked for on Christopher Drive in Independence Kentucky earlier in the

summer, and that fellow recommended me. Great chain reaction that always works in the favor of keeping a business

going, along with maintaining our reputation in the plumbing business in the Northern Kentucky Area.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:34:34 PM by DUNBAR PLUMBING »
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

cougfan

• Member Ranking +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plastic Dip Tube Failures - Still a problem in 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 09:27:44 PM »

So did you replace the dip tube and anode rod on the heater

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:14:36 AM »

So did you replace the dip tube and anode rod on the heater

Nope, they wanted me to just get the two faucets working and I told them to either wait till it happens again or wait till that old water heater starts to leak. I did work for their son and his family last year and made a good impression so I believe I'm going to be their plumber from this point on.

That's a good feeling but it might take awhile before they call back again.

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:14:56 AM »

Discussion about a recent water heater replacement involving a defective dip tube. http://dunbarplumbingforums.com/DUNBAR/index.php/topic,154.new.html

saysflushable

• Member Ranking +34/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 02:27:08 PM »

They are going to be happy when the screen on the D/W solinoid plugs up.      What fun that is.