Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Failing Sewage Ejector Pump  (Read 4747 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Failing Sewage Ejector Pump
« on: January 06, 2010, 12:28:43 PM »

I know of someone that has a failing sewage ejector pump that when it was first installed, the inspectors demanded that the power feed be brought down into the pit, GFCI and corded back to the pump.

Even though he sealed the electrical box, the GFCI kept tripping the whole while. Becoming problematic, this eventually lead to switch failure due erratic use, so he thinks.

It is a float switch that is tethered but the pump stopped working, the sewage is now just flowing out of the back side of this tank, running down to a creek that leads to a pond. :sign0137:

This "pump" has to pump uphile, maybe 12 feet of head to overcome and the distance is significant, probably 100'+ to the front yard. No doubt this pump has to work hard to move that sewage to the leaching chambers in the front of this property. If you saw the lay of the land you'd understand why it had to go there. Personally? They should of high-walled the sewer from this modular home when they had the chance since it sits on a regular home foundation, and removed the mechanical equation out and turn it into a gravity one. I haven't offered this solution yet but I haven't seen the layout of the piping in the basement either.

All I know is that the smell at this fellow's property is horrible when the plumbing is active in the home, and if the neighbors lived close by, he'd done be reported. As a licensed master plumber and friend of this fellow I'm not inclined to report him, but I'd like to find a solution that best serves the problem and make it a safer enviornment for all. There is an implied danger with this setup that can lead to disease if not properly controlled/rectified.
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

cougfan

• Member Ranking +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Failing Sewage Ejector Pump
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 11:13:23 PM »

Has the pump failed or just the mercury switch?Has anyone just tried to run the pump seperately without the mercury switch?A sealed lift station shouldn't have an odor and a twelve foot head isn't to bad for most pumps.If the gfci is tripping is the circuit overloaded?startupwould put alot of load on and could cause the gfci to trip.is there a high water alarm on this system?maybe a new pump and a shorter leash on the mercury float and cycle the pump more and is paper products clumping on the float causing it to not turn on.sounds like the pumps needs to be switched out and a new pump and or lift station installed.