Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: The Plumbing Profession and the Economy  (Read 2059 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
The Plumbing Profession and the Economy
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »

Speaking solely from the Northern Kentucky point of view when it comes to plumbing companies and the current economic situation, it's based on "who you ask" basically. A plumbing supply house in my area that deals strictly with service has the birds eye view of what is truely going on with plumbing companies along with who is entering that door the most.

Some startling but not surprising statements have been made that gives you a better understanding that the consumer, like myself is resisting in spending money. A lot of homeowners are relying on the workmanship of handyman and unlicensed individuals to complete their plumbing tasks in the home. This in turn has created a reduction of work for plumbers who are relying heavily on the nature of homeowners picking a licensed professional to complete the task before someone of questionable standard.

Apparently, that's not an issue at this point. It's coming down to basic math and "can we get this done for less" or "lets take this gamble". In this realm of thinking there are things to consider but keep in mind that not every handyman does poor service. Quite the contrary and I've seen the unlicensed to better work than that of a licensed plumber. Disturbing as it may be, it happens. Keep in mind, Plumbing is an art of installing piping. << Straight out of the codebook for the definition of the word plumbing.

This "art" is a crucial statement because it implies skill, talent, and usually a defined period of time that accomplished this skill in the trade. With that being said, here is the head count entering the supply houses: Mostly unlicensed plumbers who work as much as 1/2 or 2/3rds less than a licensed plumber, or the property owners themselves, attempting to 'do it yourself' instead.

Indirectly I am in this same exact boat but for other reasons. I "will" attempt to fix or repair something of my own before instantly going to google or the phone book to find someone to do it for me. It's a natural reflex for many and I can not only relate, but appreciate this method. That always beds the ability to save money where you can, use that money for other necessary items. Continued...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 03:42:57 PM by DUNBAR PLUMBING »
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Plumbing Profession and the Economy
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »

The economy, like it was as recent as 18-22 months ago for the majority of us is no more. It is a economic boom that everyone including your grandma had an opportunity to feed of the 'not enough supply for all the demand' principle. Since there was so much income that was expendable, this allowed fruitful spending that gave way to "I know I don't need this but I'll just make more and cover this" attitude.

The downturn of the economy will prove many things for those who endure this time in history. Those who are weak will not survive, will fold and have to consider the downfall for what it is. The strong will become stronger at a sacrifice to those who can manage the lower income revenues. Victims of this recession will most likely be a normal occurrence in the years to come, those who got behind in debt that became overwhelming.

The rollercoaster of sorts can be dramatic between the positive profitable weeks until you meet with your accountant and run the books, find out how much or how little you gained from the quarter or year. Elective spending has been pinched in a way on certain professions that unlike the rest of the operations across the country, it is the speckled egg sort of situation where only so many or few are directly affected by these economic times. People in general will become better equipped in the future about money management, controlling their expenses and realizing for the first time for some that money does not grow on trees, and the true test of conservative spending is found during troubling times.

Indirectly the price of common items we purchase daily has went up significantly. This creates an even stronger burden to those who are on limited budgets and have to make every dollar count when they can. If you know of someone that is struggling or needs help, please do your part to help those in need as you never know if that person might be you someday. Too often people slip into the  cracks of poverty and if no network is readily available around them, hardship can ensure and become a daunting task to self support oneself.

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Plumbing Profession and the Economy
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:03 PM »

The plumbing inspector I spoke with today had nothing good to say about the economy and plumbing. I don't work the new construction circuit but you can tell, he wasn't happy.

He was covering two different inspector's areas today...he didn't seem busy either. They usually have an inspector per county.  :wtf: