Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Clogged Laundry Tub Drain on Village Drive Edgewood Kentucky  (Read 2427 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Clogged Laundry Tub Drain on Village Drive Edgewood Kentucky
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:12:00 PM »

Repeat customer from last year called us regarding a clogged laundry tub when running the washing machine. We offered to come out that same day to resolve the matter and arrived around 7pm that evening.

It was instantly noticeable that when the washing machine dumped into the washer box it was more than evident that it was backing up into the laundry tub. Upon inspection of the washer box, 1.5" was used in the equation which already starts a bad piping scenario as 2" is the common sizing used in this piping configuration.

This house was built in the 50's so given the piping in the home, there are machined fittings that are to blame for why this clog was presenting itself.

1st pass, very difficult to get the cable through the trap and first 90. Cable was torquing fairly heavy to move through the piping. Went about two feet further and hit another obstruction but seemed rather minor. Running the cable full length we retrieved the cable.

Ran water, still backing up. This drain was actually draining fairly well through all of this, just not draining like a "normal" drain.

2nd and 3rd pass did provide some improvement to the drain and here is what we left in this scenario:

When the washing machine dumped, water would slightly enter the laundry tub and the absolute second the washing machine stopped pumping water, the water literally sucks out of the laundry tub and disappears faster than a normal drain. !!!

My thinking was there is resistance that is being caused by the piping arrangement or the fact the washer box is dumping over top the laundry tub and there's no real way to fix that incorrect piping without spending money.

I offered to come back, next day (of course with another drain cleaning fee) to run the larger cable and attachment which is testing fate with the size of my drain machine. The customer couldn't tell me if water backing up into the laundry tub was a common situation, which very well could be since it was incorrectly piped.

The customer decided to leave the drain in the condition of slightly backing up in regards to what was going on before. Costs I'm sure played a factor in this matter.

We are scheduled to come back out next week to install an Insinkerator Evolution Series Garbage Disposal to replace the one she currently has that is malfunctioning.

We installed that very same garbage disposal for her daughter years ago that they absolutely loved, that's why she's ready to purchase one and enjoy the same functionality.

When we return next week I'm going to test the drain system in the basement again at the laundry tub and decide if the situation worsened or improved since I was there in regards to flowing well.
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION