Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Kentucky needs to Revise Codes on Kitchen Sink Drain Lines  (Read 17154 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Kentucky needs to Revise Codes on Kitchen Sink Drain Lines
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »

I can't say this enough,

but when we come into a newer home, less than 2 years and see a kitchen sink drain line of ANY distance that is sagging between four foot and wider pipe supports? That is the primary reason I am there; clogged kitchen sink drain.

The code for drain piping, PVC piping is four foot intervals. A kitchen sink drain is most likely the only drain in the property that will receive 120 degree or higher water through the piping. Given the length of the cycle of discharge, the temperature of the water when it leaves the dishwasher creates a situation where the piping expands considerably by thermal expansion, and if there is no support in a shorter span of piping, the pipe begins to sag/drop between the supports, causing a belly in the piping which will cause the drain to clog.

I would love to be the Master Plumber behind the plan to change Kentucky State Plumbing Code to address this issue.

It specifically states in the plumbing code book that, "the plumbing system shall be erected in a fashion to be non-fouling." <<< That pretty much sums it up right there folks. Two years and sometimes sooner is not a non-fouling plumbing system.

The "fix" which would be the correction to this issue would be as follows:

1. Installation of J-hooks or metallic strapping of any horizontal drain line receiving waste from a kitchen sink drain, whether it is supplied with a dishwasher or not. The chances of someone wanting a dishwasher is pretty high, given the number of households that use a dishwasher daily to keep dishes and utensils clean.

The strapping or J-hooks would now be required at 2 (two) foot intervals instead of 4 (four) foot intervals. 

2. Strict enforcement of this new requirement during the inspection process of new plumbing systems being erected.

That is all that is needed, and this solves the issues stemming from this chronic problem I find way too often these days in newer homes.

I like to make a living, I like to make money...but I truly find this as an unfair advantage to the property owner when the state approved a plumbing system that definitely shows there is a issue in a short cycle of time.
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Re: Kentucky needs to Revise Codes on Kitchen Sink Drain Lines
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:47:23 PM »

I'll post some pictures of jobs where I've come into homes and tried to clear a drain in this situation, knowing why it happened and having to tell the customer what it is going to take to resolve the matter.

Some of these are in finished ceilings, in fully remodeled basements, so you can imagine how upsetting this can be to tell someone you have to open up the ceiling to resolve the matter. Ouch.

PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION