Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Doctor Shortage in United States - Medical Schools not Keep Pace with Demand  (Read 1552 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile

The new federal health-care law has raised the stakes for hospitals and schools already scrambling to train more doctors.

Experts warn there won't be enough doctors to treat the millions of people newly insured under the law. At current graduation and training rates, the nation could face a shortage of as many as 150,000 doctors in the next 15 years, according to the Association of American Medical Colleges.

That shortfall is predicted despite a push by teaching hospitals and medical schools to boost the number of U.S. doctors, which now totals about 954,000.

Read more...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304506904575180331528424238.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile

Here's a fairly bold statement I'll make in regards to this situation:

Anyone who is interested in the medical field, becoming a doctor has a tall order to fill to become one.

Long hours, a very strained personal life, consistently standing on your feet and your work will absolutely not leave you, ever.

Most times 15-20 years of education is required to reach the highest level of knowledge to practice the study of medicine. Different levels, specializing in one particular disease or health condition, one certain body part is what the freedom of the profession offers.

Doctors take on the idea for working for another, then maybe jump to a group, and then the ones that know their client base well enough will take a leap and branch out on their own to provide themselves with the security of self-employment.

Lots of considerations....and it is not uncommon to hear of a doctor with a massive amount of student loan/school debt entering into their profession. 

Is it worth it? Of course if you are of the distinguished and intelligent calibur to task such a job. A big thank you to those who choose this path, as they are desperately needed for the health and well being of us all.

But don't for a minute believe that their profession is 9 to 5, weekends off. Sometimes they earn so much money in a year that they have to buy expensive homes, lavish cars, exquisite furnishings in the home. They need some type of tax shelter/write-off.

I personally have many memories of doctors I've dealt with through my life, and most were older through the time that I've known them. At some point that equation must change as retirement is in the future and replacements are needed.

That is another point of interest worth mentioning:

Doctors, the majority of them will work long into their 80's for the love of their profession. It's hard to leave what you enjoy so much.

I'm a firm believer in working like retirement doesn't exist, as the idle mind causes nothing but problems for health and well being down the road. :sign0085:

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
    • View Profile

Here is a map of the states in the most demand for doctors in the future: