Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain - Cincinnati Ohio  (Read 4235 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain - Cincinnati Ohio
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:50:45 PM »

Dunbar Plumbing attempted to unclog a kitchen sink drain on Aspen Drive in Cincinnati Ohio on 12-30-09. This property served a two story rental property.

Kitchen sink is on the second floor, directly above the bathroom on the first floor. Attempted to clear from the kitchen

sink, hit hard obstruction at 7 feet. Could not get past, found access point in basement. Attempted to go up and no

result.

Went back to the second floor with equipment (spartan 81 drum machine) and actually got the drain flowing. Was

draining through the access hole in pipe where second attempt was made in basement, which revealed a second clog.

Attempted to go through access without luck, could not go downward, only upward. Found another access point where

prior attempt was made to clear 2" galvanized piping. Could not direct cable to bottom of vertical stack.

Go back upstairs to run water...drain is now clogged. ???  Take machine from basement to 2nd floor (upon approval of

property owner) as a last ditch effort to maintain this drain to stay open.

Got drain open again, head back downstairs and try "again" to get bottom of stack open. No result. Scheduled to come

back on saturday to remove base of vertical stack in basement ceiling to rework piping in order to clear drain and create

access point in piping for future cleaning.

What is most likely going to happen is my work on this piping is going to clog the upstairs piping again. In my professional

opinion, this piping, all of it needs to be replaced but I'm respecting the wishes of the property owner as they do not want

to replace this entire piping system as it will be heavy damage to the walls in 2 rooms, possibly 3 to do a total replacement.

My time proved quite expensive to peform these duties last night but I cannot blame the property owner for trying, because

if I could clear those two hardened areas in the drain, it would be open for a considerable amount of time after cleaning.

The problem? The tenant on the second floor rarely does dishes, rarely uses that kitchen sink. With galvanized piping this is

horrible situation as it will cause any dirt/debri to slowly harden up in the drain over time. That drain system being used a lot

and daily is a better situation.

The building next door to this one is totally identical, same problems and I've already replaced a significant amount of the

kitchen sink drain in that structure.

One think I made sure to let the property owner know; If I can't get that drain open in the first hour, it most likely means

there's big trouble in little china, and it is most likely going to lead to bigger problems, like replacement of the piping.

I recommend this in this situation because eventually this piping arrangement will be replaced in this structure.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 08:44:15 PM by DUNBAR PLUMBING »
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

saysflushable

• Member Ranking +34/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain - Cincinnati Ohio
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »

I agree with replacement.      You have been around drain cleaning long enough to no when to call it.        New PVC and they will be happy.     I've got a funny story about a 10story apartment friday night.      we couldn't get the cable to go down the stack when we augured the kitchen drain from the 4th floor.       so into the basement and we auguerd up the stack to clear the blockage.        it was tuff and messy.     I guess that aint so funny O0

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile
Re: Clogged Kitchen Sink Drain - Cincinnati Ohio
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 12:56:19 AM »

I've got pictures/video but I'm too damn tired to put them up tonight. Gotta get some  :bedtime2: before too long but I'll post some tomorrow.
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION