Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

Dunbar Plumbing Forums - Northern Kentucky's 1st DIY Plumbing Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

CALL DUNBAR PLUMBING 859-359-4833 WWW.DUNBARPLUMBING.COM

Author Topic: Septic Systems - Ever regretted drain cleaning before tank being pumped?  (Read 1958 times)

DUNBAR PLUMBING

• DUNBAR PLUMBING FORUMS
  • Administrator
  • Member Ranking +414/-0
  • Northern Kentucky Plumbers Plumbing Forums
    • View Profile

Every once in a while I'll run into a situation where I've had to clear a main drain that is connected to a septic tank...

the customer has no clue where the tank is, and they have never pumped it while they have been living there.

I'm then called in for the "cheap" alternative...even though there is the probability it is the tank before the lateral

leading out to the tank.

The customer isn't normally happy when you've attempted to clear a line that you cannot open, knowing

that on top of your bill is coming a substantial pumping charge.

I would "prefer" that I'm called after the tank has been pumped, but most do not do that electively.

Anyone been in that scenario before?
PLEASE VISIT www.DUNBARPLUMBING.com FOR MORE INFORMATION
Other Sites of Interest Dunbar Plumbing OutdoorEventSeating.com KoldBreeze.com NKYTalk.com NKYFairs.com

saysflushable

• Member Ranking +34/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Septic Systems - Ever regretted drain cleaning before tank being pumped?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 03:22:43 PM »

Oh heck yes I've done that............No more.........The tank always gets uncovered 1st.         Most times for me it's an overhead cleanout.    You sure don't want to open that up with an extra 4 or 6 inch's of water in the tank :sign0085:         besides there is a good chance of tangling a cable in the tank.                  So now I uncover tank then if it's a obstruction in the drain line I augure from the tank to the house.            If I can't find the tank I can't help them.      Of coarse I could pull the toilet and camera and locate.           

cougfan

• Member Ranking +4/-0
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Septic Systems - Ever regretted drain cleaning before tank being pumped?
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »

Lot of times you open up the cover and the clog is in the baffle or the filter going to the pump tank,always try to go from the tank when possible so I don't blow out the baffle.Also try to upsell them on extensions for the inlet and outlet so I don't spend time having to dig up the covers usually at night.